Saturday, August 11, 2012

Day ONE--Friday, August 10th

And so it begins—Whisper slipped her dock lines at 8:45 in order to make the first opening of the Fremont Bridge. My phone rang as I exited the fairway into the lake. Gail was at Fisheries Supply and had locked her keys in her Rav. Since I had a key on Whisper…, but I had left. With Fisheries close to the Seattle Harbor Patrol headquarters just west of Gasworks Park, I suggested she walk there and I would meet her. She did and I did. What is more, I joined three other sailboats at the Fremont. At precisely 0900 GPS time I blew my conch shell bridge horn and the bridge tender responded in kind.
When they finally opened the small locks for us, they squeezed seven of us in.
With a flooding tide until after 1300, there was no rush getting to Blake Island.  Winds were light so we (that would be Whisper & me) motored at 2500 RPM making 5.8 knots.  I dropped the crab pot at 1215 in 85’ of water in Yukon Harbor 1.25 nm west of Blake Island.  With several State Park buoys to choose from I flexed my annual pass and grabbed one.

No comments: