Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The August 2007 Odyssey--San Juan & Gulf Islands Aboard Whisper




Whisper Log 3 --

MONDAY AUGUST 20, 2007—
Today’s lesson is ANCHORING. Last night was my 14th night since leaving Port Townsend. Of those 14 nights, 6 were spent rafted to Blue Fin’s port side (Alan has ALL chain), 3 on State Park buoys or dock (I bought an annual pass), 2 nights at docks (Deer & Friday Harbors) and only 3 nights at anchor. When Cathy & I anchored in Roche Harbor on the 11th, a large sailboat dropped within Whisper’s potential arc. Potential became reality later that afternoon as I watched from shore. I got there in time to minimize damage to Whisper’s starboard side. After shortening the rode 30’ and talking with them (Dolly & Natalie were now aboard), we went to bed. At 3:30 their bowsprit was coming at our port quarter so I again shortened 30’.

With that experience, I was a little reluctant to anchor in Bedwell Harbor. A $1.45/ft convinced me it was time to go on the hook. I asked the dock attendant about the bottom and was told it was mud. Good. This diagram shows you the geometry involved.
I dropped anchor in 38’ of water, paying out rode to 120’ below the keel. I attached the cantenary to the line and let it down 30’ to increase the scope. Leaving the chart plotter on I was able to plot the swing during the night. When I awoke at 0505 the water was at 28’.

You will note on the chart plotter image through the clutter that there are 2 arcs. As the tide went out to a low of 1.1 feet about 0400 the larger arc was scribed.

All’s well that ends well, I suppose.

It has been drizzling and there is little wind. With my schedule as it is, there is no need to move in foul weather.
When I was ashore last night I was able to log-on to the Canadian website and purchase a tidal waters 5 day fishing license which covers crabbing. I set the trap last night and pulled in 2 large Dungeness. I left the trap below the surface since I didn’t want to clean & cook crab at 2200. Before I went to bed they had escaped. I now know they are here and will soon reset the trap and begin hauling them in so that I can give some to both Njord’s Favour and Sloop John B.

While I have extended Verizon coverage in Canada for the month, coverage is spotty. If you get my voicemail, just hang up. Since I am patched into an extended network, I can’t retrieve voicemail until I return on Friday. I will be checking email more regularly this week, so please use it.

Seafaringly your skipper,
Joe Grande
joe_grande@msn.com

No comments: