Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The August 2007 Odyssey--San Juan & Gulf Islands Aboard Whisper

Whisper Log 6 --

FRIDAY AUGUST 24TH—
At 0600 I was on the foredeck pulling the anchor and preparing to slip from Montague Harbor. I didn’t sleep well last night. Too much excitement and opportunities. I took the Hummingbird Bus for dinner. While waiting for it I phoned both Walter Friesen & Bonnie Rieser to invite them to come north, neither of whom answered. I left no voicemail. Twenty minutes later I tried Bonnie again & she answered. They are in Prideau Harbor in DESOLATION SOUND!

At dinner I met and then shared a table with Darlene & Bob Brown from Portland. Bob is a retired engineer and their Catalina 380 is kept in Port Hadlock. THEY are on their way back from Desolation Sound. So do I wait and plan for next year? I think not! After saying goodbye to Jane & Anita on Sunday, Whisper’s bow may just turn further NORTH.
Approaching Active Pass from the west.

By 0800 we, Whisper & I, were passing down the northeast side of Samuel & Saturna Islands opposite Winter Cove, a favorite anchorage, thanks to Alan Vogt, with both sunset & sunrise views.

Saturna foreground with Orcas looming over fog.

Turning 2800 RPMs the speed varied from 4.2 to 7.5 knots. It’s all about the current. Saw several dolphin but no eagles or orcas.

Fog rising over Shaw Island.

Tied up to the Customs dock right at 1145. All in all, good time and a good trip!

Lots to do prior to Jane & Anita’s arrival at 2130: see about propylene line for Desolation Sound, set crab trap off Brown Island, fill propane & dinghy tanks, laundry, retrieve trap, connect shore power, send log 5, compose this and, oh yes, shower.
Is there a sailboat attached to that mast floating above San Juan Channel; is she coming or going?

Seafaringly, your skipper,
Joe Grande
joe_grande@msn.com

No comments: